Ingredients for the buttermilk pie crust:
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup of cold butter
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tbs of sugar
pinch of grated nutmeg
1/4 cup cold cold buttermilk
Ingredients for the pie filling:
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup whole milk
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
3 tbs unsalted butter
fresh grated whole nutmeg (for serving)
1. For your pie crust, in a large bowl add flour, sugar, salt and grated nutmeg. Cut butter into small cubes and toss in your flour mixture.
2. Using your finers work butter into the flour coating it all. Using your thumb in index finger press butter into small piecescreating thin butter disks or flakes. All the pieces should be rough in different sizes. Though make sure all of your butter has been worked into thin pieces.
3. Slowly pour in cold buttermilk tossing the flour mixture until it is even dampened. Carefully knead just a few times so the dough comes together. It will slightly shaggy. That is ok. Press dough into the shape of a disk. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour if not longer.
4. When you are ready to start your pie. Preheat oven to 450. On a lightly floured surface roll pie dough into a circle about 1/8 inch thick. Carefully transfer crust into a 10 inch pie plate, and crimp edges as desired.
5. For the filling, in a medium mixing bowl whisk buttermilk, milk, flour, vanilla bean paste, sugar and egg together. Pour into prepared uncooked pie crust. Using your fingers leave small dabs of butter on the top of your pie.
6. Bake pie for 10 minutes and then reduce oven temp to 350 and bake for a remaining, 30-40 minutes or until the pie has set in the center and only jiggles slightly.
7. Refrigerate until cold. Serve chilled, grate fresh nutmeg over the top and serve with fresh berries.