2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoon yeast = to 1 packet fast rise yeast ( I use the fast rise yeast – the one in which you do not dissolve)
2 tablespoon unsalted butter (NOTE: IN THIS WHOLE RECIPE, WE USED A TOTAL OF 8 TABLESPOON BUTTER . Divide it in 6 tablespoon for dipping the pretzels and 2 tablespoon for the dough)
3 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 cup milk
Dissolved Baking Soda Mixture:
3 cups water
1/3 cups baking soda
1/8 cup ground walnut ( it was not ground on the picture. You have to grind it using electric chopper.
1/4 cup white or brown sugar
6 tablespoon ( this is the part of the 6 tbsp butter mentioned above. refrigerate left over. We are making another pretzel this week)
1. Prepare your baking sheet as shown in the picture. I greased the bottom of the sheet with oil then top it with parchment paper and grease it too. I used two baking sheets here.This will not burn the pretzel’s bottom too much. Set aside.
2. Place baking soda and hot water ( I use the warm water from the faucet. No need to boil or microwave) and set aside. Place all purpose flour, salt and yeast in a stand mixer bowl. Mix using spoon or wire whisk. Set aside. Place the sugar, milk and butter in a small bowl or microwavable cup and mix them so that the sugar will somehow dissolve. Then microwave for 1 minute and thirty seconds. Pour milk mixture into the flour mixture.
3. Knead the dough by hand or by using the electric mixer until dough is pliable and smooth. Form into a ball and place into greased bowl to rise. Let the dough rise in a warm place for an hour. ( See notes below)
4. After an hour, Preheat oven at 450 F. Form the dough as shown on the above picture or go here to learn to do it. Then dip it in the melted baking soda make sure to drain the water.
5. Arrange in a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes ( you have to pay attention because the bottom of the pretzels will get burn. When the pretzels are baked, MELT THE 4 TABLESPOON BUTTER dip the top of the pretzels into a melted butter and roll top on the the sugared walnut.